Chalk board

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

What to Do With Santa Claus??

I have a few more general thoughts to share at some point, but here it is the ninth of December. With Christmas day fast approaching, I thought it time to begin looking at the individual ideas and practices common to our cultural celebrations of Christmas.

Santa Claus...
What to do with that guy?  Despite never telling my children he was real, never perpetuating the idea/myth in anyway, even despite telling them, "No, he is not real." when they asked outright...They have each and all believed (steadfastly) until they were between the ages of 4 and 7 years old. (I have 2 believers still.)
This is a sweet passage of childhood and I never saw a need to crush it, only to be 100% truthful with my children concerning it. I could not see lying to my children about a fiction, and then expecting them to believe in an equally invisible (though real) God.  It seems a dangerous trick which could serve to erode trust. These children were given to us to raise. It is my goal to be able to speak truth (God) into their lives all of my days, and I could never gamble losing their trust over a fiction.
I feel it is okay for them to recognize 'Santa' but I make sure they know God better. Because for never advancing the myth, yet they still believe. 
When my boys have matured to the point of out growing the belief in Santa, they have each come to me and expressed (what amounts to Biblical doctrine) as to why they stopped believing. Most recently my seven year old came to me and said, "Mom, I just realized, Santa maybe lived once, but for no more than any other man. He may have been nice and gave gifts, but he can't be for forever-because only God is forever, and he can't be everywhere in a night because only God can be everywhere. Right?" You see, their developing minds, one Christmas time, will finally filter the idea of 'Santa' into their worldview. The world view/God view we should begin instilling into their hearts and minds from their earliest moments. (This process of filtering is one they will be engaged in for the rest of their lives.) Instead of sweating the 'Santa thing' 30 days of the year, put your energies into grounding your children in a God focused world view, daily. The benefits are much greater! :)

Saint Nick?...
I do think there is benefit in remembering the lives of Christians from past ages and more current faithful saints as well.  They serve to inspire us to holiness and works (exercised as a fruit of faith, not unto faith) Saint Nicholas falls into this area. To remember his life and faith is of great value. Remembering him on his saint day (or any day other than Christmas) is great. His generosity is a lovely example to us.  To avoid confusion, Christmas (here at our home) is reserved for remembering the mystery and great mercy shown in the incarnation of our Lord.

I found this blogger recently and this post , of her family's take on Santa, resonated with me as well.

What are your thoughts?  Do you see this more strictly or liberally? I love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Willamette Valley, Oregon, United States