Chalk board

Monday, December 1, 2014

Thoughts on Christmas Time...err Remembering Christ's Advent, (Lest We Forget)

I am praying and reading thru scripture in an attempt to have a thought out reason as to WHY (and also the HOW) we (our family) celebrates Christmas.  We have many friends who through prayerful consideration have dropped it all together...But, I feel, despite the obvious pagan roots in some (many) of the standard Christmas time observances, it is an important time of remembrance to keep. I believe there are essential doctrines of Christian faith and life which we stand to weaken or forget altogether if not to keep them before our minds, and teach them to our children with regularity. This season of Advent provides just such an impetus.

In the sense of engaging our culture I will keep referring to it as "Christmas", though at home we are transitioning to referring to it as remembering Christ's advent. I like to be very intentional in how I approach life, what I teach and model for my children and the underlying assumptions guiding my thoughts. I have many very fond memories of past Christmases, in all honesty it is one of my favorite times of year. Yes, I am the person with Christmas music playing long before Thanksgiving, and well into January. I desperately do not want to give Christmas up altogether... But It has been laid on my conscience to study, pray and be intentional in it. I have been thinking on this for a few months, jumbled bits and thoughts. There is finally enough cohesion to attempt to write a bit. :)

By means of a disclaimer, I am approaching this process from the perspective of a Christian, protestant, reformed. (that is awkwardly phrased, but keeps things in order :) ) Beyond that, I am mostly Augustinian, but I am still working thru some of my semi-Pelagian thought process hold overs. (Yes, this makes me Calvinist. No, the names truly don't matter they just provide a shorthand to tell you where I'm coming from.)

--Glory to God Alone-- 

I will be trying to post on this idea daily as I hash it out. I would love to hear your thoughts in this area too.

The root and descendant, & the founder and perfecter of our faith.
Isaiah 11:1 - There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch from his roots shall bear fruit.
Revelation 22:16 - “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”
Hebrews 12:2 - looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Willamette Valley, Oregon, United States