Chalk board

Monday, January 19, 2015

Why I am concerned, and will not gather and ask "IF"

I had heard/seen rumblings of this last year, but it had come and gone before I really took notice. It has gained a lot of steam in the past months. As so many...most perhaps, of my friends and Christian sisters jump on the IF Gathering band wagon, I have felt hesitancy...While I enjoy some of the writings of the Christian woman supporting and promoting it, and while on the surface it sounds like a wonderful concept, the 'almost, but not quite' elements stand out to me as stark flashing caution lights.  After weeks of prayer and discussing this with my husband, I write you a letter today, born of love and concern

.
Dear Sisters,

I am very concerned for you, and equally worried for upcoming generations. It seems lately we have lost something very important...
I see in Christian media and circles a pervasive, not so subtle, push of feminism and humanism.  It comes sweetened with the name of Christ and His love, making it harder to notice and easier to swallow. Particularly, I see this in the face of the modern, restless, Christian woman with an overwhelming desire to 'do' good things, in the name of Christ, but all the while ignoring His revealed ways.

Despite the age old line about Christianity being a male centric religion, we have the witness of MANY women in scripture. We see relational models of; single women, married women, childless women, mothers, single/spiritually single moms, mothers in law, grandmothers, widows. For every possible season, we have a model. Wisdom- that virtue we are all to seek diligently, is personified as feminine! We also have the model of Christ and His relational position in the Godhead. Additionally there are many scriptures giving direct instruction to wives and mothers. While scripture's overall emphasis for womanhood is 'life-giver', it is clear that birth is not the only way to fulfill that call.  Far from male centric, we have a God who desires relationship with us, and who knows (and has revealed) how best for our relationships toward others to be conducted as well.

Somehow, even among historically conservative lines of Christian thinking, we now see modeled and taught patterns of conduct and 'ministry' which are clearly outside of the models and direction God has provided.
What has happened?
Have we all managed to mature in our Christian walks to the point where we no longer need to live our lives informed by scripture?  May that never be!
May we chose just ANY way to serve God?

Are all actions equally valid and glorifying to Him, so long as we say His name and are motivated to share His love? NO!
Why are 'mainline conservatives' blindly internalizing this error? Why do we not see a solid push back against this mistake in thinking?

I will write further on this, but for now I end with this...


BECAUSE
Because God IS.     Psalm 46:10
Because God is knowable.     Ephesians 1:17
Because Christ is our model.     Ephesians 5:1-2
Because scripture provides clear instruction.     2Timothy 3:15-17
Because I am to be content in my femininity, and season of life.     Psalm 37:3-4, 1Timothy 6:6-7
Because I (Joy) am tasked with daily pointing my children to God.     Titus 2:5, Deuteronomy 11:19
Because there is an ABUNDANCE of ministry needed and available to me in my neighborhood and church right now. (This is also God's provision for how my children learn to minister.)     Matthew 25:40, James 1:27
Because prayer is powerful, I may pray God's blessing on any pocket of the world He wishes to bless.     John 14:13-14

For all these reasons I will not gather and ask "IF" on February 6th and 7th.

I will host a Bible study in my home on February 7th.  We will read through Hebrews together, pray for our community, and praise our Lord for His wisdom and care in providing us models in scripture for our lives.
While I will have help available to care for little ones, this assembly is emphatically not just for those in the mommy brigade or ranks of the married!  There is much wisdom and encouragement to be gained from sharing time in the Word with one another.

Please prayerfully consider joining us.

Much love,
Joy 

1 comment:

  1. Joy - I would love to know more about this subject, but I am quite ignorant of it at this point. I will be praying that you will have ears to hear what it is that you are saying and that it will make a difference to the confused. God bless you in your endeavor!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Willamette Valley, Oregon, United States