Chalk board

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Spring is Springing Soon!


Technically Spring does not begin for nearly 2 more weeks, but in Southern California it really is already here. I should have started seeds for our vegetable garden weeks ago, but finally managed to get them going this weekend.
4 varieties of beans, 2 types of peas (really probably too late), 4 varieties tomatoes, 2 kinds of sweet peppers, 2 hot pepper plants (Jalapeno, and Anaheim), both long and fat eggplant varieties, 3 kinds of summer squash, Swiss chard, 2 varieties of watermelon, 2 types of musk melon, honeydew, and a LOT of certified organic non-GMO corn.
We will finish prepping the garden area this coming weekend. I have had good luck with a variation of 'lasagna' gardening so we are planing to do that again. Once the ground is ready I will direct seed (and likely tent for a while just in case we get another frost or two) a mix of loose lettuce, spinach, radishes, green onions, and herbs. I also have strawberry plants ready to set out, and buckets of very loose soil ready for some carrots and potatoes.
I'm saving up to buy a deep freezer this summer, I'd like to be able to stock it up with the majority of our garden's abundance. I don't think I will really have the energy for canning very much since our baby is due in late July, but I am still planing on putting up tomatoes and various jams since those are pretty easy.
Close-up of three jars of assorted jams and marmalade

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog site honey! You have done a great job on it. The pictures are very nice especially the one of my grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog site, honey! It is very well done. And of course I think the picture of my grandson is awfully sweet too.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Willamette Valley, Oregon, United States